Monday, November 14, 2011

Tough Mudder Post Mortem

While this stuff is still fresh in my head just thought I would get this down for future reference and anyone who happens to stumble onto this.

Training
To make the experience as enjoyable as possible you've got to put in the time. Can you do it without training? Maybe. But I sure as fuck wouldn't want to be THAT guy. I saw him on Sunday and he was NOT having a good time. And honestly the training was much harder than the actual event. I didn't do much running unless it was part of a CrossFit WOD aside from our Sunday morning 7mi team sessions at Valley Forge Park and 2x/week doing sets of 100m repeats with the truck tire. And this running only took place 2 months out from the event.

Crossfit
CrossFit was the perfect complement to this event. The Tough Mudder is a true test of general physical preparedness (GPP) and that's what CrossFit aims to improve. It's immediately apparent why we're doing all of those box jumps, pull-ups and burpees. So many of the obstacles directly correlate to these movements.

Strength
CF alone will get you there but I think my dedicated strength work played a huge factor in my success. A linear progression program like CrossFit Strength Bias or Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 will have you doing plenty of squat work and deadlifts to help getting on top of the obstacles. And while runners like to shy away from strength training, on a cold day like yesterday it would behoove you to put a little extra meat on your bones. I saw some typical runners and they were cold. Very cold.

Hill sprints
I did some, I'll be doing more next time around.

Mobility
Just go to mobilitywod.com every day and do the work. This is the shit no one likes to do but just a few minutes a day will help stave off injury and transform you into a supple leopard. Being able to get into a strong position is a huge factor in being able to do the strength work as well. Again, just take my word for it and do it. You'll thank me later.

Gear
Compression gear
Under Armor-type compression gear is a must. When you're wet you WILL be cold and the long sleeves and pants will provide that extra level of comfort.

Gloves
Some say they're not necessary but I disagree. Gloves are less about keeping you warm and more about grip, and you'll need plenty of it. Thin, mechanics-type gloves are all you need.

Shoes
I rock the New Balance Minimus Trail MT10's. They drain well and provide plenty of grip and I don't even notice them. They are a minimal shoe, so if you've never used this type of shoe before ease into training with them and train with them often. Your calves will thank you.

Socks
Thin, lightweight, wool running socks. They'll provide a bit of warmth and wick away moisture.

Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel
Apply liberally to your "under carriage" and run chafe-free. I cannot overstate how critical this was for me.

Nutrition
Now my wife and I have been kinda Paleo for the past year and that works for us. Very low carb, heavy on the protein and fats. When I was doing triathlons the go to meal the night before was pasta and bread. This is no longer the case for me. The night before the race we had a rib eye steak, baked sweet potato and roasted brussel sprouts. The morning of it was scrambled eggs and bacon and a small bowl of oatmeal mixed with walnuts, flax seed, ground coconut, banana and maple syrup. Just enough carbs to start the race then we supplemented with Cliff Blocks and water throughout.

And drink plenty of water in the days leading up to the event. If you're wondering if you drank enough, you didn't.

That should do it. Happy racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment