Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Torn Gastroc

Well, went to PT at Global Fitness, LLC today and worked with Chris to diagnose my calf injury and sure enough it's torn. No running or jumping for 2-4 weeks.

Chris began by checking for swelling and range of motion in the ankle, then some light poking and prodding to see where it was sensitive. He then ran me through a number of exercises to perform on my own to help promote blood flow to the area. The exercises are light plantarflexion and dorsiflexion as well as circles and making the alphabet to work on proprioception. Next up was some light myofascial release, ultrasound and icing.

I'll have to refrain from running and jumping for the next 2-4 weeks. I was concerned that the injury would prohibit me from squatting and deadlifting but Chris said as long as there's no pain I can have a go at it. I did some heavy squats this morning and thankfully no pain whatsoever.

I did have a bit of anxiety prior to getting to my appointment as I expected to be read the Riot Act when I mentioned that I've been following CrossFit programming. The last thing I wanted was to get into a debate about the dangers of CrossFit (and no CrossFit had nothing to do with this injury, it was my pig-headed programming.) Much to my surprise Chris is a CF L1 and can appreciate the program and my desire to get train at full intensity ASAP.

So that's it in a nutshell. Not as bad as I expected and hopefully the recovery is quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment